SHOREWOOD HIGH SCHOOL
2013 SENIOR NEWSLETTER #2
UPDATE for May 1st
Dear Seniors and Parents:
Please see a few changes and additions as they relate to the closure of the current school building and impact on Senior class logistics, particularly transcripts and diplomas detailed at the end of the updated newsletter.
• Old School Offices Closed June 24th:
With the transition to the new school facility, Shorewood High School offices and facilities will be closed to the public between June 24-30 while staff packs and moves the school.
Questions and Communications:
Between the period of June 24th and August 12th there will be a period where Shorewood High School will be without phone service. Questions and communications for SWHS staff can be made by e-mail found on the school directory. Please note that all staff will be out of contact July1-August 12.
Urgent communications or questions that may best be answered by phone can be directed to district staff at (206)393-4365. Your message will be forwarded to the appropriate SWHS staff.
• Announcements – If you have not ordered, it is still not too late. You may place your order by calling Jostens toll free at (800) 840-9130, or online at www.nwgrad.com. Stoles will be distributed at commencement.
• End of the Year – Senior exams in period 6 will be June 11 9:15 – 11:05. Exams for periods 1-3-5 will be June 12. Exams for period 2 and 4 will be June 13. The first commencement practice will be June 13 at 12:40 pm. The final commencement practice will be June 14 from 10:20 am to 12:00 p.m. Seniors must attend both commencement practices to participate in the commencement exercises. The Moving Up Assembly is 12:45 on June 14.
• Moving Up and Commencement Seating – For the Moving Up assembly, there will be no assigned seating. Seniors will be seated on the main floor of the gym, wherever they desire. Commencement seating will be in alphabetical order, as arranged by graduation eligibility and determined by the Counselors.
• Fines – All fines must be paid, and all overdue library books returned by the end of the day on Friday, June 7. These items must be taken care of in order to receive your Annual on June 10. End of year fines are continually turned in. The final day to clear all fines for participation in Commencement and to be eligible to pick up diplomas will be noon on Thursday, June 13. Parents: Call Mrs. Parker at 393-4387 for fine information.
• Checkout Form – A Senior checkout form will be distributed to all seniors on Wednesday, June 1. The form must be returned to your counselor NO LATER than 3:30 on Tuesday, June 11.
• Commencement Tickets – Tickets will be distributed to seniors following receipt of their completed checkout form. Each student is allocated 10 tickets, with an opportunity to request extras as needed . The Everett Events Center provides ample seating.
• Prom – The Prom is Saturday, June 1, at the Inglewood Country Club, $30/person, or $60/couple ($40/person, $70/couple at the door). Tickets are on sale beginning May 20. All fines must be paid in order to purchase tickets. The dance will be from 9:00 p.m. – Midnight. The Prom theme is “Phantom of the Opera”. Guest passes are available. Guests must be:
1. Currently enrolled in grades 9-12.
2. In good standing at a Washington State high school.
3. Under the age of 21.
4. If the Guest has graduated from high school, they must be an alumnus of Shorewood or Shorecrest High Schools only.
5. Guests must be pre-approved prior to the event by the Shorewood Security staff.
Photographs will be taken by Dorian Studios. Dorian is offering early appointments for photographs the evening of the Prom. Appointment times are from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Inglewood Country Club. Appointments may be made when purchasing tickets. If weather permits, early pictures may be taken outside. After the Prom starts, pictures will be taken inside on a first-come-first-served basis. Ms. Tammy Ceesay is supervising the prom arrangements.
• I-Pads – Senior I-Pad collection will take place May 28-31. I-Pads must be returned to Room 308 with all associated fines/deductibles settled in order to participate in commencement practice and the commencement ceremony.
• Senior Brunch – Will be on Friday June 14 from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. in the Shorewood Cafeteria. It is free to seniors.
• Commencement Rehearsal – Rehearsals will be held on June 13 and 14. ATTENDANCE AT BOTH REHEARSALS IS REQUIRED IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN COMMENCEMENT ON JUNE 16. Call Bill Dunbar at 393-4371 if your student cannot attend one of the rehearsals. Running Start students who will miss a rehearsal due to conflicting class schedules need to see their counselor. Students who do not plan to participate in commencement should call their counselor.
• Commencement – Ceremonies are at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 16, at the Everett Events Center, 2000 Hewitt Ave, Everett, WA. Photographers cannot be accommodated on the Center main floor, but we have arranged for professional photos of all graduates.
• Parking – Ample street parking is available near the Everett Events Center. We recommend early arrival (doors open at 1:00 p.m.) If you have special questions about parking, call Ms. Swanson at 393-4379.
• Diplomas – Diplomas may be picked up during regular business hours in the Shorewood Counseling Office beginning June 19, and will be released to the student only. Please have ID. All outstanding fines must be cleared before picking up the diploma. June 19 through 21, the office will be open during regular school hours and until 3:30PM. Diplomas and student records will not be released to graduates who have un-cleared fines or school materials that need to be returned. See fall hours below if you are unable to pick up your diploma during these times. Diplomas may only be picked up at Shorewood during regular open hours.
• Transcripts – Students requesting a final transcript from SWHS to be sent to their choice college, university or post-secondary institution will need to log into Naviance to record your post-secondary choice- Once in the Naviance system. Select ”Colleges that I’m Applying To”, and select the college that you will be attending. If the college you selected does not accept electronic submissions (indicated by the postage stamp icon), then you will need to bring a postage paid envelope to Mrs. Roma in the counseling office no later than 3:30 June 21. Please see your counselor or Mrs. Roma with questions. After June 21, transcripts only may be obtained at the Shoreline Center in the I building to fulfill this need.
New Shorewood High School Offices Open August 12th
Shorewood High School Offices will re-open on the following schedule in the new facility:
Closed June 24 –August 12th
August 12-16, weekdays 7:30AM-12:00PM; 1:00-3:30PM (closed one hour)
August 19-23, weekdays 7:30AM-12:00PM; 1:00-3:30PM (closed one hour)
August 26-30 weekdays 7:30AM-3:30PM,
September 3, 7:30AM-3:30PM, closed Sept 2nd, Labor Day
School Opens September 4th.
• Parent Sponsored Events
Baccalaureate – All senior students, their families and friends are invited to attend Shorewood’s Class of 2013 Senior Baccalaureate Ceremony on Sunday, June 9, 2013, at 3:00 pm at Berean Bible Church, 2345 North 185th Street in Shoreline. The non-denominational program will feature student and staff speakers and music. A short reception with punch and cookies will follow.
Senior Spree – There is still time to purchase a ticket for this fun, exciting and memorable night. If you still want to purchase a ticket, complete the permission slip and medical forms, and turn them in along with $170 to the main office. Forms and additional information are available on the Shorewood website.